- Date of birth: September 9, 1961
- Place of birth: Mannheim, Germany
- Nationality: German
- Martial status: married, three daughters
- 1995 Habilitation in Economics, University of Bonn. Thesis Title: "Solutions to the Sovereign Debt Problem: Countertrade and Foreign Direct Investment"
- 1991 Dr.rer.pol., University of Bonn (European Doctoral Program (EDP)). Thesis Title: "Takeovers and Tacit Collusion"
- 1987 - 1991 PhD Student (EDP) at the University of Bonn
- 1988 - 1989 Visiting PhD student (EDP) at the London School of Economics
- 1986 Dipl. Volkswirt (Master in Economics), University of Cologne
- Since July 1996 Full Professor, Department of Economics, University of Munich
- Feb - July 2009 Visiting Professor, University of California, Berkeley
- Aug – Dec 2004 Visiting Professor, Yale University
- March- Sep 2000 Visiting Professor, Stanford University
- 1995 - 1996 Visiting Full Professor, Dep. of Economics, University of Munich
- 1991 - 1995 Assistant Professor, Dep. of Economics, University of Bonn.
- Jan - Dec 1992 Visiting Scholar, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Jan - May 1992 Lecturer, Boston University.
- 1989 - 1991 Teaching Assistant, Dep. of Economics, University of Köln.
- 1987 - 1988 Teaching Assistant, Dep. of Economics, University
Awards and Scholarships
- 2011 Teaching Award of the Bavarian Government
- 2005 Bundesverdienstorden am Bande (Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany)
- 1996 Academy Award of the Academy of Science of Northrhine-Westfalia (Akademiepreis der Nordrhein-Westfälischen Akademie der Wissenschaften)
- 1992 Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Science Foundation), research grant for 1 year research stay at MIT, Cambridge, MA
- 1988/89 Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (German Academic Exchange Organization), grant for 1 year PhD studies at LSE, London
- 1984-1986 Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes, Fellowship